(rshsdepot) Auburndale, FL

From the Polk Co=2E News Chief=2E=2E=2E

AUBURNDALE - For years, Auburndale's old CSX train station spent most its
time falling to decay, taking pieces of the small town's history and
storied past along with it=2E

One year after its restoration, the depot that once served as a major mone=
maker and railroad intersection for local commerce stands as the city's
downtown centerpiece=2E

It is no longer just a ghostly reminder of what once was, but a celebratio=
of how Auburndale came to be, said Cindy Hummel, the city's parks and
recreation director, who helped spearhead the restoration project=2E

"This is a part of Auburndale history, and people are realizing how
important it is for a town to know its roots," she said=2E "We knew it had=
be restored, and it has been a great addition to our downtown=2E"

It has been nearly one year since city officials held a grand opening for
the depot after moving the 75-year-old building from Piliklakaha Avenue to=

its current home at 202 Wiley Drive in December 2000=2E

Once the 1927 CSX depot was moved, the city worked around the clock
throughout 2001 to bring the historic building back to life=2E The buildin=
g,
which was abandoned in 1993, now serves as a city tennis shop and a museum=

in part=2E

"We have pictures of Auburndale history on the walls dating back to the
1920s, when the depot was built," Hummel said=2E "And of course, there is
train memorabilia=2E"

The refurbished depot and pro shop also features a locker room for tennis
players, office space, an inside lounge area and a patio area with an
awning=2E It sits on the site where the former Seaboard Coast Line depot o=
nce
stood, nestled near the city's eight tennis courts and by its railroad
tracks=2E

According to Hummel, the depot has been a popular site to local residents
and visitors this year=2E

"A lot of people who have come to town have stopped by to check it out,"
she said=2E "It's like a little museum, especially for train enthusiasts=2E=
"

Hummel added that the depot also serves as an educational tool for
schoolchildren, becoming a regular tour spot for teachers who want their
students to learn about local history=2E

"We have always offered tours of the Baynard House, but we have been addin=
tours of the depot, too," Hummel said=2E "It's wonderful=2E Our children n=
eed
to know their city's history because they will be running this city one
day=2E"

Hummel said parents also have been inquiring about the depot and asking fo=
tours after their children have told them about it=2E

"It's nice to see more and more people taking interest in history," she
said=2E "The state also recognizes the importance=2E Florida spends more m=
oney
on historical preservation than any other state=2E Since its preservation
grant program inception in 1985, the state has spent $200 million on
preservation=2E"

The City of Auburndale was able to restore the depot through one of those
grants=2E It was then able to match that grant, $100,000, to take care of =
the
final construction and landscaping plans=2E

According to Richard Reade, assistant city manager, it has been money well=

spent=2E

"The depot has been terrific," he said=2E "We've hosted a few tournaments
already and it has preserved Auburndale history=2E"

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E