Re: (rshsdepot) New York, NY: An Architect's Grand Vision for a TradeCenter T...

In a message dated 10/22/2003 9:56:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jdent1_@_optonline.net writes:
Nervi, who designed the George Washington Bridge Bus
Station of 1963 for the Port Authority, is a hero of Mr.
Calatrava's.
    Hmm, I wonder why.  Having used that facility on and off ever since it
was opened 40 years ago, I consider it a functional and architectural disaster.
The upper level, where the buses are boarded, is completely dysfunctional, as
the cold winds blow through it, and pigeons congregate on the exposed beams.
The inside terminal area is undistinguished from an architectural point of
view.  Moreover, the connection of the bus station to the 175th Street Station
of the NYC Subway was so poorly designed that most potential patrons are
dissuaded from using the facility.

    I sure hope that the new World Trade Center transit station doesn't
repeat the mistakes made in constructing the George Washington Bridge Bus Station!

            Daniel Chazin
            Teaneck, NJ