(rshsdepot) Kirkwood, MO

From today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Bernie Wagenblast
Transportation Communications Newsletter
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kirkwood buys train station from railroad for $985,000

By JANET MCNICHOLS

Kirkwood Station now belongs to Kirkwood. The deal was sealed recently with
the Union Pacific Railroad. Kirkwood paid $985,000 for the station and
associated parking areas.

Mayor Mike Swoboda said, ``The purchase of Kirkwood Station is meaningful to
the city of Kirkwood. We will have a dedication of this historic treasure in
January.``

City Attorney John Hessel said, ``The negotiation process took well over a
year. I know it used up a considerable portion of my time. There were many
obstacles to overcome. I publicly applaud Kirkwood Chief Administrative
Officer Mike Brown. Also, it took the foresight and cooperation of all the
property owners along Argonne Drive. All agreed to the concept.``

The station currently is run by volunteers through the city of Kirkwood.
Amtrak passenger trains stop at the station, but the railroad no longer
sells tickets there. On another matter, a public hearing for a zoning change
for properties along Pitman Place brought lots of comments from Kirkwood
residents to the City Council. Matt Burghoff of H.B.G. Development has
applied for the change in zoning.

Brad Goss, attorney for Burghoff, told the council that the plan would
consist of three buildings and would contain 136 condominium units plus
commercial space on the first floors of the buildings. Goss said the plan
was in compliance with all regulations of the zoning sought by the
developer. No variances would be needed, he said.

Burghoff said the development would provide $254,000 in property-tax revenue
to the Kirkwood School District and $87,500 to Kirkwood.

Burghoff said he had tried unsuccessfully to buy the adjacent property on
Monroe Avenue.

Even though the Planning and Zoning Commission approved the plan, members of
the council decided to postpone final approval until they had a chance to
study the issues more carefully.

Burghoff and Goss expressed concern with the delay.

Swoboda and his family once owned property on Pitman Place. Swoboda left the
hearing and said he would not vote on the rezoning proposal.

Residents also voiced their opinions at the public hearing. Doris Danna said
the project needed more green space. Tom Teasdale, an architect, said the
development was crammed onto a small site. ``There is no room for anything
else but parking,`` he said. Joe Toenjes said he supported the development
and commended Burghoff for his renovation of the old Kirkwood Theatre, which
has been turned into lofts.