(rshsdepot) St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada

This was in my inbox today. It's a wonderful old building.

Henry

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:58:44 -0400
From: Paul Corriveau <pcorriveau_@_rogers.com>
Subject: FW: "Help Us Raise the Roof!" - News Release

NEWS RELEASE!

10/14/2005 - "Help Us Raise the Roof!"

Save Our Station

c/o North America Railway Hall of Fame

P.O. Box 20040

St.Thomas, Ontario, N5P 4H4

Phone: 519-633-2535

Fax:  519-633-3087

WHAT:        Raise the Roof - Campaign Launch!

WHO:          Paul Corriveau, Volunteer Project Coordinator

                   Max Charlton, Vice President

                   Angus Walton, Director, & Chairman of the Municipal
Heritage Committee

                   Wayne Paddon, Director, Chair of the Adopt-a-Window
Campaign, Author

WHEN:        Tuesday, October 18, 2005, 10:00 A.M.

WHERE:      Canada Southern Railway Station

                   750 Talbot Street, St.Thomas, ON (behind Giant Tiger)

PHOTO OPPORTUNITY:

Exterior photo opportunities are available, plus additional interior tours
of the station can be provided with advance notice. The Station is currently
set-up for our annual Mystery Station event which helps raise funds for our
Save Our Station campaign and is presented by the Association of Community
Living.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:

Paul Corriveau                                            Max Charlton

Director - Volunteer Project Coordinator           Vice President

North American Railway Hall of Fame               North American Railway
Hall of Fame

Home: (519) 633-8381                                  Home: (519) 631-1871

pcorriveau_@_rogers.com
max.charlton_@_sympatico.ca

Tuesday, October 18, 2005:For Immediate Release

The North American Railway Hall of Fame Says "Help Us Raise The Roof!"

The Canada Southern Railway Station on Talbot St. in St.Thomas is a vital
jewel in the railway history of this city. It is now time to rally the
community to assist in the first phase of the restoration of this grand old
building. Work will begin on the complete re-roofing of this 354 foot long
architectural gem in the month of November.

Approximately 75% of the necessary funds for the re-roofing are already in
place through grants and other fund raising. It is the goal of the North
America Railway Hall Of Fame to raise the remaining funds for the roof
restoration over the next few weeks.

This roof project will complete phase one of the 'Save Our Station' efforts,
initiated through the On Track Group and The North American Railway Hall of
Fame, the owner of the building. Once fully restored, Max Charlton, Vice
President, envisions "a grand showpiece of railway history, and a building
that will also have practical uses, such as retail and office space, a fine
dining hall, and cultural or museum space. The close proximity to the
business district, the city's new community centre, the railway museum, and
Jonas Street Park offers an opportunity for the area to become a 'hub of
activity' for tourists and locals alike."

While the fundraising campaign is underway, the roof repairs will begin in
November with work expected to be completed by the end of the year. Those
watching the progress can expect to see a complete roof installation,
including entire roof plywood sheathing, ice shield membrane, flashing, and
a new 50 year slate-look asphalt shingle. "The roof is the first significant
step in the redevelopment of the building, one which will allow the
community to start to see the building's enormous potential," says Paul
Corriveau, Volunteer Project Coordinator.

With the first phase of the Station's restoration complete, work will move
to repairing and replacing the 160 windows and the buildings interior.
Residents will see the Canada Southern Railway Station become a vibrant and
integral part of our railway heritage and a grand downtown architectural
feature. Property values in downtown St.Thomas will be positively affected.

Those interested in contributing to the fundraising drive may send
contributions to: Save Our Station, P.O. Box 20040, St. Thomas, Ontario, N5P
4H4, or may contact volunteers at the NARHF office at 519-633-2535.

All contributions will be acknowledged and, since NARHF is a registered
charitable not-for-profit organization, all contributions are
tax-deductible.

Background:

The North America Railway Hall of Fame (NARHF) was incorporated under the
Canada Corporations Act in 1996 and is a registered charitable organization.
The objectives of the Corporation are:

*      To recognize and establish an enduring tribute to men and women of
the past and present who have made significant contributions or achievements
relating to the railway industry in North America.
*      To likewise honour significant railway organizations, railway
related innovations and technical accomplishments, railway rolling stock,
railway buildings and other construction feats, railway cultural
contributions and historical railway events.
*      To provide a facility for the preservation and display of a
collection of library materials and railway heritage artifacts related to
the Hall of Fame inductees.
*      To educate the public about the impact of railway transportation on
the history and the continuing development of communities, nations and
international relations throughout North America.

Additional Resource Material:

For additional material, please visit our two websites at:

www.narhf.org <http://www.narhf.org/>                  - North America
Railway Hall of Fame Website

www.railwaycapital.ca <http://www.railwaycapital.ca/>        - Save Our
Station Website