RE: (erielack) Birch Lumber & EL Gons

Rich Wisneski wrote:

> My Jan 2004 ORER, in the listing for Norfolk Southern, shows
> 14 gons still with EL reporting marks 4 in the 435xx series,
> 10 in the 436xx series.

These are the 65' mill gons which were the most common ones still running around. Shocked that there are still 14 running!

> It also lists one 66' flatcar no. 7601

This is one of the three 1974-built Maxson depressed-center, dual-span-bolstered-truck flats. CR used to keep its depressed center flats in Conway Yard for storage, does NS still do this?

> 6 hoppers in the 33xxx series

I can't imagine THAT's right. There have been many, many sightings of this series lately.

> 1 50 ft box 692xx series

That's one of the offset-door cars that could often be seen in Ridgefield Park at that one warehouse down there on the Northern Branch. It looked pretty ratty last time I saw it.