(erielack) My $.02 worth concerning the recent ELHS rant

I have, with much trepidation, been following the recent 'discussion'
concerning the ELHS. Again, there are the usual calls for action and demands
for services/information/whatever. There are the usual stories: 'My
sister's, brother's, cousin's next door neighbor knocked on the door of one
of the board members, at 2AM, to ask a question and was rudely turned away.'
Frankly, it again seems to be, Much ado about nothing.

Now, I may just be some dumb Midwesterner, and I may not have the
qualifications that many seem to love to trot out about themselves, when
they come across all self-rightious. However, as I sit on the Board of
Directors of an all-volunteer (Just like the ELHS) 501-C3 charity, I believe
that I do have a certain insight. The Board, is not omniscient. They don't
know what problems you perceive. They are not omnipotent. They just can't
wave their hands and set things up to please everyone. They are NOT at your
beck and call. They have lives and personal concerns! Get over yourself!

This organization has existed for quite awhile, and has done quite well. The
archives exists, rather than being trashed or squirrelled away in everyone's
file cabinets. There are excellent and accurate models and books being made
available. The dues are not priced out of reach and there is a fairly decent
return for the price: The Diamond and The Extra Board are very well done.
Not at all bad for a VOLUNTEER organization.

Is it perfect? No, but then again, ARE YOU?

Michael Dye ELHS #1516