Re: (erielack) Unansered Questions

An opinion or two on what I've read:

I belong to a rail organization which went the route of a board
partially elected by the membership.  That organization now has serious
problems because the board members elected by the membership acted in
such a fashion that the appointed directors, including the president and
minority owner of an area short-line railroad, quit.  The board spends
most of its time nit-picking what the operating staff, all volunteers,
have done, and micromanaging what has not yet been done.  Will this
happen to ELHS if the board is member-elected?  Not necessarily, but it
certainly is a possibility.

As for younger members, keep in mind that the focus of this organization
is on a railroads which no longer exist.  1976 was the last year of  the
E-L's existence.  Anyone who is 30 years old was about 2 when the E-L
ceased to exist.  Considering how quickly Conrail tried to eradicate any
E-L identification, it's not surprising that few people who are under 30
even know about the Erie, the Lackawanna, or the E-L.  In 2001, I asked
a Mahwah resident who was about my age (mid-50's) how far the Mahwah
Erie station was from the hotel.  She said that she didn't know, but the
NJT station was about a mile.  Even those of us who are middle-aged and
don't have a special interest in them don't remember these railroads
any longer.

Ken Bush