(erielack) Re: EL List Daily V3 #1488

An RS2/3 is 1500/1600 HP as built.

E8/9's were 2250-2400 HP from two prime movers, so a single motor is around
1200 HP depending how it was set up.  Conrail's RS3M's were rated 1200 HP
and considered yard engines because of that.

I'd think you'll have one of two choices on the renumbering - if there was
enough available room, the same units might get new numbers above the old
series to designate a rebuild.  If the units represent a new model or are
otherwise new to the roster, you'd see a horsepower-reflective number
series.

All this type of conjecture is fun, I have SD40-2's, an SD60M, an SD45 and
F45 (as SD40-2M's) and a GP30 (GP39-2M) all done up in Lehigh Valley paint.
I have an old Athearn SD40-T2 undec I'm not sure what I want to do with yet,
too.  But I'm thinking it would look nice in red, also.

- -------------------------

Also, for the comment about the Rail Power shells - Athearn came out with
the scale width shell and narrow motor in 1984 with the original SD40-2.
Rail Power came about later with the C32-8 and the main purpose was to
produce more accurate, scale width shells that fit the Athearn drives.  If
they ever did produce wider shells (which I highly doubt), you can see
evidence of tooling upgrades if you compare older and newer shells side by
side - so I am sure they were corrected or replaced.  The actual Rail Power
bagged GP35 shells I have here are visibly narrower than the old Athearn,
and the Athearn GP38/40/50 etc. cab fits right onto these shells (although
it sits a bit lower than the RPP).   My "LV" SD45 is an RPP shell with an
Athearn cab.   Basically, what would be the point to producing yet another
inaccurate shell?

It also was about 1984-5 that Bev-Bel was able to sell GP30's on an Athearn
frame with the new motor and a scale-width Kader (Bachmann/Lionel) shell - I
never thought those were too bad until I saw the Proto 2000, now most of
mine are slated to be cut up into CSX-type road slugs - I think it will be a
lot easier to cut them up and rebuild the sides with plain styrene than to
try to file them down and save 2 or 3 doors.

Bill K.