(erielack) Re: EL List Daily V3 #1489

In a message dated 12/6/2004 5:33:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
erielack-owner_@_lists.Railfan.net writes:

From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"  <paultup_@_lucent.com>
Subject: RE: (erielack) Unansered  Questions

Janet and all,

Has anyone stopped to  take a look at the O&WRHS? These guys have a huge -
and growing -  membership (with MANY young people - most of whose PARENTS were
youngsters  when the O&W disappeared) - how do THEY do it? Are there any O&WRHS
 members on the list that can elaborate?

- -  Paul

Paul -

I was a member of the O&WRHS for a while, and am thinking about  rejoining.
I believe part of their success comes from the fact that while  they have
membership nationwide (and perhaps internationally, too), they do have  a pretty
good membership count from the Northeast, as I recall.  This would  seem
logical due to the geographical location of the O&W and subsequent  awareness of the
O&W by fans young and older living in the Northeast -  even though it was a
Class 1 road, it was relatively obscure in the  grand scheme of things.
Subsequently, a good portion of their  membership has access to the monthly meetings
they hold at a senior center in  Middletown, NY.  Members get together and
have discussions, guest  speakers, slide shows, model displays, field trips,
etc. etc. etc.  They  also have a great (my opinion!) in-depth web site.  I'm
sure there are some  politics in play as there often is with "formal"
organizations, but  they must keep it in the back seat and away from the general
membership in favor of their real reason for being... that reason being keeping  the
memory of their once-great road alive and well.

For what it's worth...

Bruce Smith