Re:(erielack) December Calendar Picture

Ed,

Thanks for your reminiscing about your trip on the EL.  Something in
your message jogged my memory.  I was very young at the time I traveled
on the EL.  I traveled with my brother, sister, aunt and mother from
Scranton to Morris Plains to a cousin's wedding.  It was my aunt's
insightfulness, "I want you to experience a train trip because soon
there will be no passenger service out of Scranton".  Now with my aunt
and mom both passed away, it is hard to remember many of the details of
that trip.  But you jogged my memory!  My Aunt must have taken her
camera for the wedding.  Maybe she snapped a few of our train!!!!  I may
be able to get access to some of her old slides over our Christmas visit
to Scranton.

Marty
ELHS #3033

On Sat Dec 4, Ed Mongomery Wrote:
Getting away from all of the unanswered question e-mails I would like to
to me because the longest trip I ever made on the EL was from Mountain
View to Branchville and return.  Everyone else I knew who used the EL
never traveled more than about 35 miles on the railroad and here is this
picture at Binghamton with what appears to be more people boarding No
1-31 than probably did in Hoboken.  EL was kind of fooling around with
the schedule at this time.  No train had a through sleeper from Chicago
to Hoboken on EL tracks.  One did transfer from Chicago from NKP.   I
have a November 1962 Official Guide and EL had just reduced pullman
service.  At this time Nos 1-31and 2-32 had sleepers between Chicago and
Binghamton.  If the train was on time it was stopped at Binghamton
between 2:45 and 3PM in the afternoon while mail was handled and the
sleeper added.  The eastbound Erie-Lackawanna Limited dropped its pul!
 lman at Binghamton.