Re: (erielack) ELHS ??

Wow!!! I take a few days off from checking emails and now all of this! I've
read every email regarding the current status of ELHS. I've looked at all
opinions. There are too many topics to cover in one email so I'll comment on a few
and reserve the right to comment on others in separate emails.

Rich Tubbs, among others, sums it up most succinctly. So here goes:

Elected Board: Makes total sense to me. I'm not here to vote anyone off the
Board as the sitting members bring much experience to the table. But without
elections, those who want to contribute from a position of leadership are
virtually restricted from doing so. I will sign a membership-driven petition to once
and for all, bring this issue to the forefront and see action taken either
way. A staggering of Board members on a 2-3 year basis as Rich Tubbs suggests
makes complete sense. As an American, I respect the outcome of the vote.

Younger Members' Points of View: Pay very close attention to the younger
members. Their posts make so much sense. I work with many people in their 20s and
I keep the mind open. Just because I'm older doesn't mean that I have all the
answers. I don't. They have much to offer, so listen up folks. Keep the door
open.

Attracting Younger People: Erie Lackawanna's surviving rails are now home to
major roads (NS, CPRail, CSX, etc.), commuter roads (NJT, MetroNorth), as well
as regionals and short lines (NYSW, NY & Greenwood Lake, Delaware-Lackawanna,
etc.). We have room on the website to summarize what these roads are doing
these days. Surely younger people are attracted to these roads as these are the
roads they see. We are in a position to offer contributions to the website,
which in my opinion, will naturally give younger people exposure to EL.

Response from Board Members: Yes, please speak.This is not an "us vs. them"
situation. If we read closely, all want the same thing, a society that will
grow with new engery and a sense of belonging. I still feel that sometimes ELHS
is like a "good ol boys club". Not always mind you. But just like with the
"good ol boys club", when questions are asked they are often met with silence. I
know. Many of mine have gone unanswered. Silence can be a strength but not
forever. Not cool.

ELHS content: I'm happy that we're not into buying railroad equipment,
rolling stock, etc. We are a group who enjoy modeling, preservation and documenting
EL and the predecessors. I believe that we have our niche. Let's make it the
best it can be.

I found my niche here and that's the website. As a writer, editor and one who
enjoys documenting history, I have talents to contribute. I'd like to see an
open drive by the Board to recruit members into active service where members
feel they can offer their individual talents. This will happen when members
feel a sense of proprietorship. The Board (under the existing By-laws) have that
responsibility. How about some action from the Board? Not just words, but
active participation from the Board.

O&W Historical Society: How did they do it? Easy, they keep the doors open.
They are different than we are. That was explained in a previous post.

Publications: If I was interested in just buying a magazine, I'd go to my
corner newsstand and do so. No, I wouldn't find the Diamond. I'm here for more
than just the magazine, as good as it is. Should there be a contract with
Andover? Of course. That's called business.

A Place to Discuss Internal Business: Let's carry this to the EL-Election
website. We can talk there about all issues presented and keep ErieLack for those
who want to talk about modeling, history, what ifs and current events. Only
one problem with this. Some Board members still for whatever reason don't wish
to communicate. Definately not cool. Let's open up the EL-Election website for
discussion of all issues and not air the laundry in front of non-members. Are
those who set up the Election site open to this? Please respond.

Summary Thus Far: Over the past few days we've seen a number of "not heard
from lately" members speak up. That is healthy. That tells me that there is much
interest in seeing ELHS be all it can be.

Yes, there are issues to resolve. That's normal. All issues can be resolved
for the betterment of ELHS. That will happen only if all speak, exchange
opinions, and come to decisions. That includes you members in your 20s. We must
start with a clean slate. Let's move this to the other website and continue
discussions with the end result being a clear path to a prosperous future for ELHS.
We all want the same and we have what it takes to do so.

As my city's former mayor, Rudolph Giulianni said upon his election, "There
is a seat at the table for everyone. Who's willing to sit down and get the job
done?" I sat at that table with him. From three different political parties
(Republican, Democrat and Liberal), we all sat, aired our thoughts, differences
and came to a common goal. We did get the job done. Look at us now!

Who's willing to sit at the table and get our job done? I suspect that many
are. Let's go for it. It's time.

Rick Sedlisky
Manhattan, NY
ELHS #3319