RE: (erielack) Train symbols (was: Erie Lackawanna (2))

Henry Jaruski wrote:

> Hmmmmm.  I'd have bet money it was PN-98,  I'll have to check
> what the info I've got at home [at office now].
>
> I'm sure there was always a long freight coming through North
> Newark heading eastbound at 10pm+/- during weeknights.
> Whereas, CS-9 generally ran by Kearny / West Arlington's WR
> tower at 3pm+/- weekdays, just before the RS3s and the
> commuters began the "rushhour" traffic.
>
> Further to your reply: Was there, perhaps, an extended period
> of re-routes that would have run PN-98 down the Greenwood Lake?

Ahhh, a topic right up my alley, operations over the east end and Boonton Line! :)

Going through the ol' employee timetable (1974 version), the freight you're referring to (and I would hear at night when I was a kid) was most likely NY-74, which was carded for a 11:30 PM arrival at Croxton. SC-8 also ran on a similar schedule, carded for an 11:45 PM Croxton arrival, but due to its local work, its timing was much more variable.

CS-9, as you pointed out, headed out between 1-3 PM on weekdays and scurried to do its local setouts/pickups before the rush. Towards the end of the EL (1975/1976), there was a symbol "CX-97" that usually hit the Boonton Line just before CS-9. Anyone have any details on what this symbol was? (low-priority freight?)