RE: (erielack) Train symbols (was: Erie Lackawanna (2))

Paul/List:

It's a shame that I didn't pay more attention to train operations back
then [being all of 13 or so in 7th Grade].  Being able to see the
Passaic River bridge from my window and knowing the operators at WR.
Plus my Uncle who worked at DB, also a help but not fully tapped as a
resource while he was alive.  You and I have discussed our collective
interest in the Boonton/Greenwood Lake before [And, no, I haven't put my
layout together yet.  Yet, I keep buying EL stuff.  Lord, I've got a lot
of work to do.  Deck and finishing off the basement still have first
billing.].

To quote you: "was most likely NY-74, which was carded for a 11:30 PM
arrival at Croxton."  Why do I want to think this e/b came across
through Rutherford/Lyndhurst, but not Kearny, and then over to Croxton?

Now I've got a "burr under my saddle" about that nightly freight which
will drive me nuts all day until I get home later and do some digging.

Regards,

Henry

ps: how's the baby?

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:41:42 -0500 , "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)"
<paultup_@_lucent.com> said:

> Henry Jaruski wrote:
>
> > Hmmmmm.  I'd have bet money it was PN-98,  I'll have to check
> > what the info I've got at home [at office now].
> >
> > I'm sure there was always a long freight coming through North
> > Newark heading eastbound at 10pm+/- during weeknights.
> > Whereas, CS-9 generally ran by Kearny / West Arlington's WR
> > tower at 3pm+/- weekdays, just before the RS3s and the
> > commuters began the "rushhour" traffic.
> >
> > Further to your reply: Was there, perhaps, an extended period
> > of re-routes that would have run PN-98 down the Greenwood Lake?
>

> Ahhh, a topic right up my alley, operations over the east end and Boonton
> Line! :)
>
> Going through the ol' employee timetable (1974 version), the freight
> you're referring to (and I would hear at night when I was a kid) was most
> likely NY-74, which was carded for a 11:30 PM arrival at Croxton. SC-8
> also ran on a similar schedule, carded for an 11:45 PM Croxton arrival,
> but due to its local work, its timing was much more variable.
>
> CS-9, as you pointed out, headed out between 1-3 PM on weekdays and
> scurried to do its local setouts/pickups before the rush. Towards the end
> of the EL (1975/1976), there was a symbol "CX-97" that usually hit the
> Boonton Line just before CS-9. Anyone have any details on what this
> symbol was? (low-priority freight?)
>
> 	- Paul
- --
  Henry W Jarusik