RE: (erielack) Jefferson Division

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Michael Connor wrote:
8<--
> Under the agreement the Erie retained Trackage Rights over
> the segment until 2015.  On 6 December 1955 the Interstate Commerce
> Commission approved the purchase and title to the property was transferred
> on 1 February 1956.
>          It is my understanding that by the 1955 sale of the Jefferson
> Division to the D&H the Erie was very much a minority of traffic.  Subject
> to digging into my archive I believe the Erie's principal Jeff traffic was
> westbound anthracite coal, which was in a long-term decline, and bridge
> traffic, principally to/from the CNJ.  Remember that the D&H had always
> owned the segment south (east) of the Jeff from Carbondale to Avoca, 24.35
> miles, which the Ere had Trackage Rights over.  While the Erie was a
> significant player in the Anthracite coal traffic much of it went east via
> the Wyoming Division getting on the Delaware Division Main Line at
> Lackawaxen.  The D&H still carried Anthracite Coal out of the
> Scranton-Wilkes Barre area but increasingly had transformed itself into a
> Bridge Road focused on connecting the PRR at Wilkes Barre with the B&M at
> Mechanicville NY and the CN and CP near Montreal.  I would expect that an
> interest in getting Dispatching control of the Jeff and making sure it was
> maintained to "fast freight" standards may have motivated the D&H's interest
> in what clearly would not have been an Erie priority line.

Did the EL exercise trackage rights on the Jeff and does anyone know when the
last regular Erie/EL train to use those rights ran?

Does enyone know what the Erie/EL traffic volume was like on the Jeff after
1955?

I chased a Steamtown run on the Jeff with dad way back when, but that's the
only train I ever saw on it.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services