RE: (erielack) Layout planning (was: Tools for calculating yard s izes (sorta EL related, at least t...)

Hi folks,

Rather than try to respond to everyone's individual questions, I thought I'd give an overall rationale for my layout (which will answer many of those questions)

The layout is basically the embodiment of what I experienced growing up in Boonton. As I got older and was able to venture around, I discovered the Boonton Line was a fascinating dichotomy of "suburban Erie commuter" and "heavy-haul DL&W freight."  That hooked me - elements that caught my attention immediately:

    * A major freight yard at the end (Croxton)
    * A double-track, heavily curve-laden portion that ran through some picturesque little towns - Greenwood Lake portion from DB to Great Notch (I really want to model that theater in Upper Montclair right next to the tracks!)
    * A single-track (with one passing siding) line that ran through a nice mix of scenery and industry (Great Notch-Denville)
    * Green MUs from Denville-Dover! (another thing I grew up with)
    * Did I mention U34CH-powered commuter runs? :)

Then as I got older, I began to get into the operations aspect of it all. And the Boonton Line of 1975 had it all:

    * Approximately 12 road freights a day
    * Lots of locals in the portion I model (2 Dover Drills, 2 Boonton Drills, Silver Lake Drill, Greenwood Lake Haul, Totowa Roustabout)
    * Occasional pusher service up the hill to Great Notch
    * A large yard that will require two yard operators (I love yard switching)

Finally, there's more opportunity for operation with all the interchange partners:

    * PC, NYS&W at Croxton
    * Hoboken Shore at Hoboken (Weehawken Branch out of Croxton)
    * CNJ at Lake Jct.
    * M&E at Morristown (I might try to squeeze that in)

So ultimately, I'd like to have several switching areas for local trains - Boonton is a definite, and I will probably do the Totowa Industrial for its sheer concentration of industries. Not sure about the Orange Branch (not much business on it in 1975, I thought?), but I might put in a short stub for the Greenwood Lake north of Mt. View for switching.

I also have taken quite a shine to the CNJ's Dover & Rockaway Branch (which roughly paralleled the EL through Dover), and might add that to provide more operational interest.

Thoughts?