Re: (erielack) Marion and environs(2)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 RBehre8599_@_aol.com wrote:

> The NYC Big Four secondary from Bellefontaine to Toledo which crossed at HN
> was, based on the amount of overgrowth of nature today, probably an early
> victim of CR consolidation during the 1980's also...

According to my maps and reference material (PC ETT #7 5/1/75) the crossing of
PC's "Eastern Branch was at "SANDS" which was 0.2 miles west of "CP 73" which
would be KN on the EL. I have to assume that PC SANDS is HN and tha line was
formerly the Big Four's Bellefontaine to Sandusky line via Kenton, Berwick and
Clyde. Before PC (Feb 1, 1968) the portion between Belle Center (just north
of Bellefontaine) and SANDS (Just south of Kenton) was abandoned as was the
portion from Clyde to Sandusky. In PC years the ex-Toledo & Ohio Central line
from Toledo/Stanley to Thurston (PC Eastern Branch) was cut back to Stanley to
Bucyrus and the portion from Berwick to Bucyrus was renamed the Thurston
Secondary. The Eastern Branch "took over" the portion of the Sandusky Branch
from Berwick to SANDS where it ended, apparently just south of the EL
crossing. That stub from Kenton to SANDS may well have outlasted the EL as
that stub was apparently there to serve somebody, I just don't have the info
available to verify the date of abandonment.

To the best of my knowledge virtually all of the original Eastern Branch and
all of the Sandusky Branch from Belle Center to Sandusky was abandoned by
1984, but I don't have detailed reference material for that at hand. It was
all highlighted on an office copy of a PC system map I have in my collection
and virtually all those highlighted lines were abandoned by the early 80's.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services