(erielack) Erie Caldwell Branch

I took a bike ride this afternoon over part of the Caldwell Branch
right-of-way, from Caldwell to NJ 23 in Cedar Grove.

The route from Roseland Ave in Caldwell is overgrown and a few segments
are paved as parking lots or built-over.  The sidewalk along Bloomfield
Ave kept me out of the road most of the way.

The underpass at the Caldwell/Verona border is filled with earth.  An
eastbound whistle post survives about 100 feet east of the tunnel.  At
Personette Ave, a single lot was sold and a house blocks through travel.
I detoured around it two different ways.

Once past this house, a GREEN ACRES sign indicates public ownership (since
1985).  Small signs read "NO MOTOR VEHICLES" at road crossings.  One
bridge was removed, probably due to low clearance, but it is passable.
The route appears to be used (clear path through the leaves and no big
obstructions).  I was overtaken by a young man riding his bike MUCH faster
than I was going.  It is downhill all the way from Bloomfield Ave to NJ
23, as much as 1.9%, so I decided to turn back at that point, where the
remains of a station platform and stairway to street still exist.

I need to scout the rest of the line between Cedar Grove and Great
Notch...

Is anyone interested in doing an explorer hike of the Caldwell Branch in
the spring?  It would be best to meet at Great Notch, leave most cars
there and drive a minimal number of cars to Caldwell, then hike back
mostly DOWNHILL.  Erie track diagram

http://raildata.railfan.net/erie/homeerr.html

shows this as between MP 22+ and 17.

=====