Re: (erielack) FW: Lackawanna Cutoff (fwd)

KSmollin_@_aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 12/21/2004 4:11:11 AM Central Standard Time,
>gkazin_@_yahoo.com writes:
>
>Gary,
>   Just curious as to why you don't think this will happen in the next 4
>years? I actually contacted NJT and spoke to someone who is working on the
>project. He stated the concept design was to be done in DEC 04. The gentlemen said
>they would be looking for federal funds as early as spring of 05. He told me to
>give him a buzz in the spring and he will have a better idea as a timeline of
>events.
>The cutoff is now considered an "urban core" project and this might help them
>get federal funds faster. Also NJT has completed many of its other "urban
>core" projects(secaucus, kearny connection, montclair..etc..), so it stands to
>reason now that these projects are now done that NJT can look at heading west
>again and extending service on many of there lines.
>Keith
>NJT has a contractor working on 'concept design' for restoring the line,
>Edwards & Kelcey.  The big issue, as expected, is money.  It trickles in
>and work gets done, though nothing that shows so far.  Once design is
>complete, Federal funds for reconstruction and for equipment will be
>sought.  Don't expect anything to happen in the near future, especially
>during the next four years.

When I lived in Stroudsburg, Pa in 1998/1999 they held meetings and
described how they were sure that the Cut Off would be back in service
by 2004.
They did not make that date.  Understanding the problems of design,
finance etc. I would be very surprised to see it before 2010 at the
earliest.
Pete