Re: (erielack) Erie & B & O

The operating agreement which had the B&O operating Erie freights into
Indianapolis came about as a result of the Erie's purchase of the
Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton RR (Put into place when the Erie's president
(Jewett?) was out of the country. When he returned and saw the CH&D's
financial condition, he cancelled the deal. B&O purchased CH&D, gaining
B&O's second line into Indiana. A result of the deal was that the Erie
gained rights on the Indianapolis line and the B&O hauled the trains. So,
"technically" Indianapolis WAS on-line for the Erie.

As an aside, the only thing remotely 'Erie' in Indy, is that the office
building that last housed the EL's agent still exists, overgrown in a VERY
evil part of town near the fairgrounds.

Michael Dye, ELHS #1516