Re: (erielack) Erie & B & O

Frederick D. Underwood was the Erie president involved.  Jewett was gone for
several years and Eben B. Thomas had moved from the Erie to the Lehigh
Valley creating the vacancy that FDU filled for a quarter century or more.
There isa story in Hungerford's "Men of Erie," IIRC, detailing this. Daniel
Willard, FDU's VP-O on the Erie, later became President of the B&O and
acquired most of the CH&D.  The student exceeded the teacher.  It certainly
would have made a more positive Erie future if FDU had found a way to keep
the CH&D without bankrupting the Erie.  The whole transaction is another of
the Erie's Lost Opportunities.