(erielack) Re: Marine equipment

Tony,

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on marine equipment, what I have
learned I directly attribute to people like Baxter, Flagg, Tabor and
others along with various research sources. So what I pass on of any use
  is a direct result of others willingness to share what they know.

Now...the Walthers float bridge is I believe loosely or closely based on
the Lehigh Valley float bridges if I remember correctly. Parts of it
might be usable and adaptable for making a more Erie or DL&W correct
bridge. How successful that might be I can't say.

Walthers tug is based on the LV or CNJ diesel tug. Sheepscot Scale Products:

http://www.sheepscotscale.com/portal/index.php

offers detail parts and an on line article about how to improve its
appearance (using some of their products of course). There was also an
article in RMC or MR a couple years back about back dating the tug into
a steam tug if I recall.

Sylvan Scale Models:

http://www.isp.on.ca/Sylvan/product.htm

is offering a generic steam tug kit now, but I don't know how close it
is to anything the Erie or the DL&W used. I need to check this one out
further.

  There was a model of the DL&W's ocean going tug Lackawanna produced in
HO scale and I have seen the kit still available, but that isn't much
help to New York Harbor operations. Particularly after 1917 or so.

The Walthers car float...well until something else becomes available or
is someone decides to scratch build one, it will be an acceptable
substitute. There are a couple of people who offer detail parts for the
kit which enhance the appearance.

Probably the most interesting marine models to come out in a while are
the American Model Builders laser cut kits for the covered barge and
open deck scow.

http://www.laserkit.com/laserkit.htm

The covered barge is based on a New York Central design, but compared to
what else one might find, it would be a reasonably good stand in for a
DL&W covered barge. Paint it and letter it and most people wouldn't know
the difference.

The open deck scow is a pretty good stand in for the DL&W lighters which
had their hoists and booms removed. Again, add some DL&W specific
details like the number board on top of the cabin, a few other minor
additions and you have a good stand in for one of these. I just picked
up one of these kits and it is in the stack. Probably it will get built
around 2012. :)

The search continues for prototype information. A good source is of
course the Rail-Marine Information Group John Teichmoeller runs:

http://www.trainweb.org/rmig/

Regards,

Will