Re:(erielack) Re: NY Harbor Marine Equipment

"Not an authority. . ."  Yeah, right!

Am I correct in my understanding that the two types of apron differ in that the pontoon bridge floats and rises and falls with the tide while the contained apron bridge must be mechanically raised or lowered to match the float?

Could the Walthers 3-track float become a 2-track station float by simply covering over the center track with the platform and hiding its connection at the loading end?

On tug boats:  I can't remember ever hearing a steam tug.  Did they chuff?  I know that some of the diesel tugs sounded just like GP7s, for the obvious reason.

I spent a couple of years as Director of Transportation for the New York Chamber of Commerce and Industry ( a private advocacy organization, more political than useful ) and had several memorable tugboat rides, courtesy of McAllister or New York Cross Harbor, as we tried to show the financial nabobs that New York harbor was an economic asset.  They were too dense, the Chamber included -- but that's another story.

Randy Brown, ELHS#16
proof-read by rb: five errors found and corrected
Hi Will -

  I though I might chime in here, to help clarify some of what you brought up, for the benefit of those who are interested in NY Harbor marine operation, be they Erie/DL&W/EL or any of the others. And no, I'm no authority either, just somebody who enjoys the marine operations of NY Harbor, maybe a little TOO much!

  The Walthers float bridge is not a copy of any float bridge found in the harbor, but rather a Reading design once found on the Delaware River. For those so inclined however, it is a good starting point for those who want either the Erie/LV/LIRR contained apron style bridge, or a DL&W/CNJ/BEDT pontoon style bridge. . .

Ralph Heiss