Re: (erielack) And the answer is?

Bob,
    I burst out laughing at reading that this was to be the topic of debate.
I wonder if they were entirely serious? It certainly seemed to be, didn't
it?
    The Budget was a short-lived (only one year?) weekly Millburn NJ
newspaper. The historical society has a rare bound volume of it and the
library kindly scanned it and posted it, and many other old local
newspapers, at their Web site. The Budget apparently fancied itself as
something more important than it was, as most of it is fluffy -- and often
absurd -- news from all over the world. Only one or two pages were local
news and that is where I found many DL&W items, including early train
schedules.
    By the way, near the end of the year, I think, I found a couple of
articles related to a(nother) special train that took local veterans of the
Battle of Antietam to a gathering in Easton. The paper is searchable, but
you have to search each issue individually. The link to it is:

http://www.millburn.lib.nj.us/mshhs.htm#Budget

    I didn't want to burden the list with clippings from the paper, but I
found a few references to the Hoboken ferries being built and the failed ...
what was it called? NJ West Line? If you feel it might be worth poking
through, the local news was usually around the second, third, or fourth
page, where you see a header for the Budget, and usually the train schedule
beneath it. There were usually two pages of local news and ads. To search
the pages you should use the search function that appears in the Adobe
Reader.
Thanks!
Lynne