Re: (erielack) Old Main line-Goshen/Middletown

The last day of passenger service was Sat. April 16, 1983.  The new stations
on the Graham line opened the following Monday.
  For quite a while prior to the switchover. NJ Transit was on strike so
there was no service and  most of us thought the old main would end that
way.  But with about a week or two to go, it was settled.  Conrail wanted to
get the rust off the rails and decided to send a freight eastbound over the
line to do that.  But part of it derailed on a crossing just east of Goshen
and tore up some track.  They uncoupled the part of the train that was OK
and continued on, but Conrail had to clean things up and reconnect the track
segments as best they could to get it back in service.  As someone else
noted, some RDC trips ran west via the old main to Howells Jct. then east
via the Graham line rior to the changeover.
  On the last Saturday, I left my car in Monroe and got a ride to Harriman
for the last run back west..  I was the last passenger ever to board at the
old Harriman station and the last ever to get off at Monroe.  No video, just
a few slides. A rainy day which was changing to snow by Monroe.  Some fans
tried to organize a farewell special that summer but it fell through.   The
line from Middletown to Harriman was torn up using rail trains in Nov. and
Dec. 1984.  About 2 miles on the west side of Middletown to Howells Jct was
pulled up about 1995.
  Russ Hallock