Re: (erielack) Meat / BD Tower

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-01-09-06

BD_BinghamtonSanborn1952.gif (image/gif, 1348x908+0+0 51187 bytes, BF: 23.91 ppb)
Binghamton_BirdsEyeView1901.gif (image/gif, 1798x1290+0+0 749617 bytes, BF: 3.09 ppb)
Sturtevant-LarrabeeAd1901.gif (image/gif, 640x458+0+0 155138 bytes, BF: 1.89 ppb)

Here's a snippet of the Sanborn map from a 1918 set revised current to 1952.

I believe BD is in the right center of the map between the DL&W and Erie mains
just above and to the left of the S&U switch. Sorry for the quality of the
map, I couldn't even read the date from this map page.

I have also attached the interesting part of the 1901 Bird's Eye View of
Binghamton and the Sturtevant-Larrabee ad from the LOC collection at
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/pmhtml/panmap.html (Click New York then click
United States--New York (State)--Binghamton. [1901])

Henry

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Russell Hallock wrote:

> The Sanborn Insurance maps have great detail of facilities like these.  The
> New York Public Library map library has very good coverage.  I recall
> looking at these years ago and recall something like what was described, but
> never made any copies.
>    I also have a copy of a panoramic view map of Binghamton from 1901. In
> the wye are the "Binghamton Oil Refining Co." and what might be a partial
> roundhouse.  The location of the East Bing. yard at that time was only the
> home of the "Binghamton Beet Sugar Co."
>   Also on it are advertisements from various businesses.  One of them is
> "The Sturtevant-Larrabee Co., Carriage and Sleigh Builders, Binghamton, NY"
> with a small picture of their factory, with RR tracks going along side it.
>   RH

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services