(erielack) NYSME in Hoboken

Here's some of what Andy remembers about the club layout at Hoboken.

The MYSME history page is at http://modelengineers.org/history.htm

Henry

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:14:01 +0000
From: ajb1102_@_comcast.net
To: Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu
Cc: "J. Henry Priebe Jr." <root_@_net.bluemoon.net>
Subject: NYSME in Hoboken

Ed,

Except for my Lionel Train Set, going to the New York Society layout in Hoboken was the best thing in the world for a ten year old. I also went with my Scout Group. Living in Jersey City, we (40/50 scouts and leaders) would board a regular schedule Public Service bus, the # 7,  for the ride to Hoboken. Luckily on Saturday morning there were not many other riders. We took the ferry ride also, but one time, the Lackawanna RR gave us a ride on an M.U. train out to Newark and then back.

The Hoboken NYSME layout was the largest in the world at the time. It was built in the upper concourse of the Terminal and of course it was the Lackawanna. There was the terminal with ferry slips and two 1/4" scale ferry boats. The Delaware River Water Gap, 10 feet high or 10 feet deep depending  on where you stood to look at it. We also believe that we were one of the earliest groups to operate prototypical. West Point cadets actually came to operating session to learn Railroad operation.

As for photos, we do have a collection. Some are posted on our web site modelengineers.org in the history section.  I would like to get more in there but we are better at model building then web site building.

Andrew Brusgard, V.P. NYSME