(erielack) Erie Boxcab 22 in the 1-10-06 ABPR

I have always been fascinated by the early boxcab locos, today we focus on
Erie 22.

http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?january06/01-10-06/Erie22BertPennnypacker+ScanColl.jpg

From: Joseph Testagrose joet5_@_optonline.net
Subject: US - Erie22BertPennnypacker&ScanColl.jpg
Photo Bert Pennypacker & my scanned collection.
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:43:52 -0500 -- File Info: JPEG 1024x553
Erie22BertPennnypacker+ScanColl.jpg

Described at http://www.cnwhs.org/ageir/roster.html as follows

ALCO Order # S-1531 for Five 100 Ton 600 Horsepower Units
Using Two Ingersoll-Rand 300 Horsepower Diesel Engines. Red River Lumber
Company #502, Great Northern Ry #5100, AGEIR Demonstrator #40, Erie RR #21
and Erie RR #22.

Erie RR #22
ALCO Builders #66678 - GE Builders #10177 - Delivered October 18, 1927...
Note: Had an Interurban style pilot ("cow catcher") installed during
construction. Erie Class M-2. Erie RR #21 entered a short stint operating
local passenger service on October 13, 1927 and was joined for this brief
period by Erie #22 upon delivery... prior to both units entering switching
service. Erie #22 was rebuilt January 1952 by Erie/Hornell as Erie Yard Slug
#B22 (might have acquired Blunt trucks). Retired October 1966 and scrapped at
Meadville Pennsylvania February 1967...

Most if not all of these units were initially constructed with a Pinion to
Gear ratio for "Road Service" - producing an Ingersoll-Rand advertised top
speed of 55 miles per hour.

Erie RR #22 at Akron, Ohio in 1927 from George Elwood's site:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/erie22atl.jpg

At some later date at Akron:
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/erie22ajh.jpg

EL slug B22 at Marion in 6/67: