Re: (erielack) Corry, PA interchange?

On Mon., 16 January 2006 SMT wrote:

The EL did operate detour trains via PRR from Corry to
Union City
(about 12
miles) when derailments happened between those points.
 I recall one in
the
mid-60's when #5 operated via EL-Corry-PRR-Union
City-EL.  When
returning  to
EL at Union City the train was reversed due to the
interchange being a
loop-track design at Union City.  Freight trains
usually went to Erie
and  returned
via the B&LE to Shenango due to the reversing
direction issue via
Union CIty.

An engine runby must have occurred at Union City, but
would the train have continued reversed all the way to
Chicago?  Could it have been turned on a wye somewhere
west of Union City?  Would coach seats have been
turned if the train could not be turned?

I recall seeing a westbound passenger train detoured
through Cattaraugus in 1943 or 1944.  From what I know
about the track plan at Dayton, I believe it would
have had to run reversed once it continued westward on
the B&SW division.  I've always wondered about that.

Bob Frost   ELHS #980