(erielack) Salamanca turntable

Bob Frost wrote:

In September 1945 the existing 80 foot turntable at
Salamanca was replaced with a 105 foot turntable.
Erie Railroad Magazine carried a story on the
replacement in its November 1945 issue:  "Extension of
diesel locomotives as far east as Salamanca
necessitated the turning of "S" class engines at that
point and since the existing 80 foot turntable there
was of light construction and too short to handle
larger than "N" class engines, a new 105 foot
turntable was constructed to replace it"

Comment:

This was a very late investment in steam--practically a waste of
money--necessitated by the fact that there were not as yet enough diesels to equip the
whole main line, coupled with the company's apparent strategy of prioritizing
those segments of the main line with grades for dieselization, while leaving the
heavily reengineered Allegany Division until last.  I'll bet senior management
really fussed over this one--I would have!  A good example of expenditures
that sometimes must be made in the railroad business whether you like it or not.

WDB