(erielack) Sterling Mines

List

Sterling mines are still owned by Sterling Mine
Company’s surviving entity, my client and very nice
folks, Sterling Forest LLC. These mines are part of a
magnate trend that starts in New York and then goes
through New Jersey, Pennsylvania, ending in Maryland.
The largest mine along the trend being Bethlehem’s
Grace Mine (my first client) near Hershey. Most of the
mines along this trend belonged to Bethlehem and most
of the reserves are still held by them. Most small
operators that owned the smaller mines are long gone.

Bethlehem’s Panther Mines (also a client) supplied the
Anthracite for the smelting process with the limestone
coming from Bethlehem’s Hershey (now Tarmac) Mine
(also a client).

All my maps of the Sterling mines show the name Erie
on all the servicing rail lines. The Ransom book is
very good but also:

Iron Mines and Iron-Ore Districts in the State of New
York, Bulletin of the New York State Museum of Natural
History, No. 7, June, 1889.   and

Magnetite Deposits of the Sterling Lake,
N.Y.—Ringwood, N.J. Area, US Geological Survey
Bulletin 982-F, 1953.

Regards,
Vince
Mining Engineer