(erielack) Rockaway Road bridge update, 01/20/06

Good news, bad news...

I got there about 1pm and they had placed two more beams, bringing the
total to 10.  A quick look at the 'hammerheads' gave me the impression
three more beams will finish this span, and they could be placed today.
There are actually FIVE spans; I miscounted yesterday: two approach spans
on the south, one over the railroad, one over the Rockaway River, and an
approach span on the north.

It didn't seem like much was going to happen for a while, so I went into
Dover and returned about an hour later.  Apparently there was a problem
with the tenth beam, as it was removed from the bridge and put down on the
ground to the west.  Another beam was removed from a waiting truck and
placed on the ground, revealing yet another on the ground next to the
river.  A fourth beam on a waiting truck was removed and placed on the
ground, so all the beams needed for this span are on-site.  The workers
were cleaning up at 3pm, so they did NOT meet my guess - by far!

NJT trains came and went throughout the afternoon, blowing horns to warn
workers who might cross the tracks.  The notable consist today was a Comet
IB set (two cabs, one trailer) with an F40PH-2 (I didn't note numbers
today).  Also seen: NJT work train with one NJT gondola and a number of NS
hopper cars, M&E 20 going light up the Dover & Rockaway to fetch one empty
spine (lumber) car, possibly from 84 Lumber?

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey