(erielack) Salamanca turntable

John Redden wrote:

I spoke with my Dad about the replacement of the Salamanca turntable; he was
acquainted
with the hostler there.  At the time of the upgrade, the hostler routinely
took engines to
E. Salamanca, in order to turn them on the B&O wye there.

Perhaps the Erie unsuccessfully tried to strike a deal with the B&O, for a
permanent
arrangement to use their wye?  If Berkshires were being turned this way
regularly during
1944-45, and full dieselization were anticipated, it would seem likely that
Erie management
would have wanted to continue this practice. . .

JR

Reply:

I can't add anything to what John brought to light, except to say that it
contributes to our understanding of what might have been going on at Salamanca.
We need more of this kind of interview with people who actually remember our
favorite railroads.  The real deal.  Thanks John.

WDB