(erielack) UPS Trailers on EL

I'm in full agreement with Paul: don't let prototype issues keep you from
modeling something you really want! I think you have several options. When
EL first started hauling UPS traffic in volume in late 1970, most UPS
trailers were 40' straight-frame with outside vertical ribs. Beginning in
1973, these began to be replaced by the distinctive 40' drop frame vans. The
latter became a signature feature of  EL TOFC trains in the mid-70's, so you
may want to model these.

You can use the Athearn/RPP 40' van which is an exact prototype, load a
single one on a 50'-60' flatcar. Just about any flat will do, just add
rubrails, Details West hitches and aprons, and decorate for TTX. If you're
into scratchbuilding, Andy Sperandeo did a terrific 57' ATSF TOFC flat
(wallboard car conversion) in the 12/84 MR. Another option is to use an
articulated spine car, although these post-date the EL.

Or you can use the 26'-28' drop-frame pup trailer, which would be a
reasonable stand-in for the longer trailer. UPS began acquiring the 26' in
1964. These went to full (13'6") height around 1972. In 1983 they began
acquiring the 28'. I don't know if the 26' was intermodal-capable, at least
I've never seen photos of the pups on flatcars prior to 1980, but at least
they were around. Walthers makes the 26' and A-line the 28', and I believe
both are available. I have some undec 28' kits which I'm considering
selling, so if you're interested Mike, contact me off-list.

To load two pups to a flat, you'll need at least a 56' car. The scratchbuilt
car mentioned above will work, also the Athearn/MDC 60' flat. If you can
find any of the Walthers 75' flats they released around 1990 (the original
Trailer Train fleet acquired from PRR), this might work since it's 10'
shorter than it's later counterpart and the trucks are end-mounted, which
will give less trouble on sharp curves. Also by repositioning the rear hitch
you can load a 40' car plus a pup.

Paul B

Mike Dickinson asked:

> Group, What type of trailers did EL haul for UPS? I am wondering about
> the shorter pup type? I do have several of the old Athearn
> and other Mfg
> that I could use for a NY100(?) train. The new 85' TOFC will not look
> good on my small/tight curves. I thought that I could cut those 20'
> trailers up into the pups or other short trailers.

The Athearn trailers are 40' ones - you mean you want to cut them into 20'
pups, correct?

The UPS pups that Rail Power Products made several years back (and Athearn
now owns, and I believe has also released) were good models of that
particular trailer, but I think these didn't come into use until the 1980s.
All UPS used in EL years were those 40' trailers, as well as leased 40'
trailers from others.

But remember, there's nothing stopping you from taking a pair of pups,
painting them up in the same fashion as the Athearn 40' UPS trailers.
Putting a pair of these on a 53' flat would essentially look like a shrunken
85' flat with 2 40' trailers, and for a layout with tight curves, this can
be an acceptable alternative. It is YOUR model, and you certainly have the
right to use modelers' license here! :)

> Also
> didn't i see an
> article somewhere about redoing a flatcar to take a trailer?

I don't remember the issue, but Larry DeYoung did an excellent article on
converting a Tyco (yes!) flatcar into an EL 7010-series 53' single-trailer
piggyback flat. These would be ideal for a layout with tight turns.

- - Paul