Re: (erielack) Re: place names

Just to set the record straight on  TOWACO.  I consulted with a friend who
comes from that place and has done extensive research into the name, more
than I imagined.  The answer is a qualified "yes" about it being of Native
American origin.  Qualified because the name or names from which it was
apparently derived are just barely recognizable as having a similar phonetic
character. The railroad station name has also had an interesting history.
  (from her paper):     The Boonton Branch of the Morris and Essex Division
of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad was opened in 1870, with
the Towaco station named Whitehall (Taber, 1977, .p. 81), as it remained in
1892 and 1894 (pp. 124-125).  A rather dull story about the origin of
"Whitehall" follows:  "Whitehall, a station on the Delaware, Lackawanna and
Western Railroad, derived its name fifty years ago from the circumstance
that a man who kept a store there had his house and store painted white, and
two or three small buildings near by whitewashed, and called the place White
Hall."  (History, 1882)  It was renamed from Whitehall to Towaco in 1905
(Taber, 1981, p. 766).  In a 1913 M. & E. railroad map, "Towaco NJ" is
named.  However, an 1899 U. S. Geological Survey map (1905 edition) refers
to Glenview rather than either Whitehall or Towaco.  According to the
present township historian, Kathy Fisher:    "Towaco is not incorporated.
Towaco is part of Montville Township,   which was incorporated in 1867/8.
Towaco started off as being called Towaco.   Then in late 1800's it was
called Whitehall (called this because RR came in and they  wanted to change
the name).  RR then found out it duplicated another Whitehall so then they
changed name to Glen View (name which lasted less time than Whitehall did).
Again they found they it duplicated another name.  So it went back to Towaco
approx 1905.  However I have seen maps later that still said Glen View. "
A website, compiled with data from the Federal Writers' Program of the New
Jersey Work Projects Administration, cites the origin of "Towaco" as
"Sub-tribe, Towakan"   Thayer (1975, p. 26) wrote that the Indian name for
the Towaco Valley was "Tewechauw," its other name "Doremustown"  for the
descendants of Cornelius Doremus who settled there in the 1740's.  While
investigating Native history in New York, I (my friend) had found two Indian
Deeds to northern New Jersey that had been signed in 1671 by Towachkack,
Tewaghguye, and Tawakhache.  Knowing how early Native name sounds were
altered by Europeans as they were transmitted and written down, I was
intrigued.  Were Towachkack and Tawakhache the same?  Was one, or more, of
these names actually Towaco?  If he signed deeds, he could have been a
sachem.  There is a water company mentioned in her research, but it is
"Indian Hill Water Association" dating from the mid 1920's.   Philhower
(1936, p. 267) wrote that  "Waughow or tawaughow (Towacco) may take its
origin from Tawwunasin, 'to bury under stones.'  Tradition says there is a
burial hill on the  knoll just west of the railroad station at Towacco."
This burial hill "west" of Towaco station seems to be the same as one of
sites "north" of the station, and is most likely Indian Hill, although the
archeological map shows no sites labeled as burial sites in the entire area.
.   So this, in a fairly large nutshell, it the story of Towaco.  Her paper
actually runs many pages and includes a lot of geneology, especially in the
Wanaque area, if anyone is interested.

Russell Hallock