RE: (erielack) Re: place names

Gary Kazin wrote:

> TOtowa
> WAter
> COmpany
> = TOWACO
>
> --- Russell Hallock <rhallock_@_frontiernet.net> wrote:
> > Totowa means "It is between" (river and mountains), not to
> be confused
> > with Towaco (also Boonton Line), named after a Native
> American tribe
> > (Towaken) or chief, whose statue has long graced the Orange County
> > Fair in Middletown.

I read the "Totowa Water Company" thing in William Brennan's recent EL book,
but I don't buy it. What does the Totowa Water Company have to do with
Towaco? There's no reservoir, so why? I think it's a load of crap,
personally - do a Google search on Totowa Water Company, and you'll see
there's no such entity.

I think Russ Hallock's description of Towaken sounds much more plausible.