(erielack) Re: Classic Trains/ Hoboken

Paul and interested list members -

  Actually Paul, I'm surprised that nobody chimed in until now about this, because I have had this magazine for about a week now, and the picture REALLY has me wondering - Why the HECK are there carfloats tied up in the ferry slips?  Sure, just because there were no ferryboats to get in the way, it still makes me wonder why they would tie them up in the slips, beacuse by 1970 there wasn't much marine activity going on, but by the number of covered barges in the photo, that seems to be not the case. Maybe a brief upswing in business? There also seem to be too many tugboats in the photo for them to be all EL, again in the post-70 period, unless they are not all railroad owned. Any ideas anyone?

Ralph Heiss
  S. Plainfield, NJ
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/railmarineops/