(erielack) 712 ABCD on a freight (2)

I was trying to figure out if this train was climbing or descending (assuming we're correct about the general location), but there doesn't appear to be much exhaust or brakeshoe smoke that I can see. Someone mentioned that over a 50 year span the flora can change radically, to which I'll add so can roads, of course. I recall seeing a couple of Erie shots at Canisteo NY in the 50's (Trains mag) obviously taken from an overpass, but when I first got there in '71 there was no bridge or highway to be seen; some investigating turned up abutments hidden in the foliage. Also sun angle can be tricky; the Delaware Div'n has so much curvature that depending on train direction and time of day the sun can be oriented almost anywhere.

Paul B

From: "Rich Behrendt" <rbehrendt_@_columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: (erielack) RE: 712 ABCD on a freight (2)

As I recall, there are'nt any grade crossing between Deposit and Gulf
Summit, but there are 2-3 grade crossings between Starrucca and Gulf Summit,
but this one (sort of) looks like the first grade crossing east of Starrucca
at Germantown Road (?)...

The photographer appears to be perched on an eastbound signal given the
angle...