(erielack) Feedwater heaters [was New Photos on Website Aug 2nd]

Actually, PRR K4s's ran on the joint PRR/CNJ New York and Long Branch as the last mainline steam in the New York City area -- and they didn't have feedwater heaters.  Many Erie locomotives, including the last ones running, didn't, either.

The easily seen tank in front of the stack is part of the Elesco system.  The other major maker was Worthington, which had two forms -- one had a square tank before the stack and the actual heater on the fireman's side above the cylinders; the Erie had very few (if any) of these. Worthington's other system was contained in a slab-sided pump-and-tank unit on the fireman's side above the main driver.  This was used on Erie's S-class and on many K4 and K4a, N and R-class locos.

Randy Brown
To add to my post about feedwater heaters, I am familiar with the Jersey Central's feed water heater Pacifics because the CNJ ran steam longer than anybody else in the New York City area. . .
Philip Martin