Re: (erielack) Re: the West Shore; J.P. Morgan's yacht

Morgan was very involved with the railroads.  Probably the biggest
reorganization in the 19th century was the 1893 Northern Pacific
reorganization that J.P. Morgan put together.  From an EL perspective, he
had bought up a number of Erie securities in the 1890's.  By 1898 the
independent NYS&W with its Wilkes-Barre & Eastern and Susquehanna Connecting
Railroads were undercutting the coal rates the Erie could get and were
attempting to lease the Erie & Wyoming Valley.  Morgan stepped in and bought
control of the NYS&W and then had the Erie lease it.  In 1907 the Erie was
near default and Morgan again stepped in - this time getting one of his
allies, Underwood to take on the presidency of the Erie.

Tim