RE: (erielack) Hummmmmmm

There is an abandoned abutment immediately west of the bridge on either side
of the bank... is that what it was for?

- -----Original Message-----
From: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org
[mailto:erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org]On Behalf Of Hank Sundermeyer
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 1:13 PM
To: erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
Subject: Re: (erielack) Hummmmmmm

The number plates on the signals pretty much nail the location.  On the
chart, it is identified as "411 Reinf.. Concrete Sig. Br."
It was in the vicinity and just west of the present day New County Road.

I'll leave the history of the 4 track stretch between BJ and HX to more
knowledgeable people.  But between those two interlockings, the operation
was set up to carry traffic to and from the Mainline on tracks 1 and 2 (the
southmost tracks) and traffic to and from the Bergen County Line and the
NJ&NY on tracks 3 and 4 ( the northmost tracks.)

Old photos seem to indicate there was a bridge for tracks 1 and 2 at one
time before the current bascule at HX.  Whether or not the earlier bridge
carried all 4 tracks to the east bank of  the Hackensack, I have no idea.

Regards,
Hank