Re: (erielack) Photos of 2602

Philip,

Duplex no, triplex yes. The L1s were Mallet (say that with a French
accent please) articulated compound locomotives. Duplex to the best of
my knowledge in locomotive terms, was only applied to the Pennsy's Q
class and T class, rigid frame locomotives.

Something I always though would be interesting is how much better would
the Erie's and Virginian's triplex locomotives have performed had they
the benefits of superheaters, feedwater heaters, combustion chambers,
circulators and for the sake of the poor fireman (firemen?), stokers.
Would they have archived the performance hoped for? Of course with
stories of the triplexes riping out draft gear on the freight cars of
the day, would it have mattered.

Regards,

Will Shultz