(erielack) Former Utica line status...

Got this from an NYS&W list, not a rosy picture for this former DL&W line...

The line is open and in use from Utica south to Sherburne. The feed mill in
Sherburne had some cars when I was up there in mid June. Sangerfield has a
few customers too.

There are 26 separate washouts on the line south of Sherburne and it has
been placed OOS. We were notified of that by the NYS&W on July 28th.

Supposedly trackage rights from CSX may be sought to run between Syracuse
and Utica but right now CSX is dropping cars at Utica.

I would think insurance money or money from FEMA would be in the pipeline to
repair the damage to the line, but with an alternate means of servicing the
current customers (ala CSX) and the lack of customers south of Sherburne
there is a decent cost savings in repair / maintenance by closing that
portion of the line. Norwich shouldn't worry too much, if the 'potential'
customer materialized with decent carloads, fixing the washouts and
repairing the part of the line needed to reach the facility would be a minor
investment.

Paul R. Tupaczewski
IMS NAR/CaLA Implementation and Delivery
Lucent Technologies
67 Whippany Road, Room 15D-116
Whippany, NJ 07981
Phone: 973-386-4966