Re: (erielack) Re: O&W Discussion Group Abandoned RRs in Scranton Area

In a message dated 8/15/06 11:42:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
erief7_@_msn.com writes:

After reading a summary of the Transportation Act of 1920 and seeing the
lineups that were considered at that time, I suppose it looked reasonable.
However, what would have happened when industry left New England, the Northeast
and other parts of the eastern part of the continent?

Probably a realignment that eventually would have brought us close to  what
we see now. Of course, it's anyone's guess but I find the 1920 proposal
extremely interesting especially when you look at how the proposed combinations
would have interchanged.

All things considered, if that had taken place, perhaps the small number of
Class 1 railroads that we see now would have evolved earlier.

Again, who knows? But it is good to look at what those before us had  in
mind.

Any thoughts on this?

Rick

It  was alot of regulation and much of what was needed to be transported by
the  railroads. IE: intermodel (containers, trailers etc) is a big booming
business. But what would happen if that type of industry or the need for it
dropped off drastically and the RR's had nothing to fill the void?How many
intermodel yards and such would be empty. It's all relative and  dielectric.

Fred Stratton

MP. 7.2 NS Asheville  line

Salisbury, NC