Re: (erielack) Bus vs Train

George,

Please understand I am in no way trying to be critical of your
observations about buses versus trains, but just about anyone on this
list is going to have a biased perspective. In reality, here in upstate
New York many people depend on the bus as their only means of local AND
long distance transportation just as they once relied on trains. To them
they don't much care if it is a bus, train, taxi cab or whatever, all
they are concerned about is going from point A to point B.

How many of us (please save the "I do!" replies since you are almost
assuredly a minority) have to depend on public or private transportation
as our only means of travel? Exclusive of private vehicles of course.
Sure some people can afford to rent a car when they need to, but there
are a whole lot of people out there who can't. We tend to loose sight of
how people less fortunate than us or unable to own or operate a private
vehicle have to depend on other modes of transportation or the kindness
of a relative or friend. Many of these people do use trains, look in the
coach section next time you're on a long distance Amtrak train.

I wonder too, unless gasoline goes to $5.00 a gallon, how many of us who
say we would use the trains if only they went somewhere would actually
do so. I have a feeling after a couple of trips and dealing with the
"inconveniences" which we are unaccustomed to and the "freedom" of a
personal vehicle, most would stop or severely curtail usage. I know I've
said I'd use it if it were there. Would I really? The old complaint of
"well it doesn't go where or when I need to" would surely be heard, but
it would never go there until a reasonable core was supported first.
That would mean suffering through, but still using the service even
during the inconvenient phase.

Remember the oft heard retort from conductors during last runs in
response to all the railfans and last trip people...to paraphrase,
"where were you when we needed you to keep the train on!" It's going to
take a systemic cultural shift before we have anything better than what
Amtrak provides today (we'll leave the politics out of the routes it
serves for the sake of this discussion). from what I see traveling the
highways, people haven't changed their wasteful driving habits much as
yet. Maybe $5.00 a gallon gasoline will impact them, maybe it will take
more.

If you've ever traveled in Europe, train travel really is second nature.
Sure it has been said many times, but it is true. In fact when I've been
in Italy I was VERY happy to have the train available because even to
someone who learned to drive in New Jersey, the Italians drive like nuts! :)

Regards,

Will Shultz