RE: (erielack) Re: EL & Erie 50' double door boxcars

> Todd, nice postcard from way back when, thanks! I appreciate
> the Pennsy clarification, correct data is of the utmost
> importance. But hey, we're all human, make mistakes, and/or
> are subject to incorrect data ourselves. I couldn't begin to
> guess what year, but I imagine sooner or later fire trucks
> simply became too massive for railcar loading, either by
> weight or size.

Hold on, Todd.  Fire trucks can't be more than about 9' wide, or they wouldn't be able to drive on
many roads and streets.  They can't be extremely long for the same reasons.  They can't be more than
about 10' high for practical purposes.  And like most vehicles, they are actually quite lightweight,
as they're mostly air.

So, size?  No, they still fit inside box cars or easily on flats.
Weight?  No, they cannot weigh so much as to challenge even a 50-ton flat.

They are eminently a shippable-by-rail product, and I expect they are.

SGL, presently managing the design and construction of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' Fire
Academy.