Re: (erielack) Latest DIAMOND

In a message dated 8/24/2006 9:45:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Edward.Montgomery_@_fcps.edu writes:

Notice that the RS units do no have the usual "wagon  wheel"
radio antenna.  I thought that was standard with Erie  units.

Ed---As far as I know, the 900 and 901 which were the Youngstown-Cleveland
units were never equipped with the wagon wheel antennas.  All of the photos
that I have ever seen of these two units showed the firecracker type  antenna.

did Erie or EL ever seek TOFC of Intermodal freight to or from  Cleveland
to compete with NYC and PC

TOFC traffic moved daily from Croxton to Leavittsburg on the CX-99  (usually)
and set off on #6 track for further movement to Cleveland.  The
Cleveland-Leavittsburg Local or train MC-1 (or 177 as it was known at one time)  moved the
cars to Cleveland.  These were the former Cleveland Shipper's  cars that
previously moved in boxcars.  There was not much TOFC to  Cleveland on the EL but
the little that we had was steady.

I've also read several comments at this site about how EL was  in
the process of attempting to abandon the Cleveland Branch as  they
approached the time of Conrail.

First it should be noted that this was NOT a BRANCH.   It was the 1st
Sub-Division of the Mahoning Division and it was a MAIN LINE, 70  MPH passenger and
for many years, had an UNRESTRICTED freight train speed  between Jeddoe and
Solon.  It was busy moving ore to the mills right up to  Conrail day one.  The
mills did not start to fail until 1977--1979 time  period and I never recall any
talk of abandoning the line in EL days.  It  was a high-speed, efficient,
train order operation, supplemented by signals  (APB) operation that worked well
for moving ore.

SMT