Re: (erielack) Latest DIAMOND

Mike, Ed and listers,

I have an EL document dated 1975 of traffic accounts for Cleveland and
points east toward Leavittsburg.  I have transcribed it into an Excel
spreadsheet and can forward it to anyone that may be interested.  Just
contact me off list and I will email it to you.  It includes track location
(there are at least two industries I can think of that were served by the PC
and EL), TOFC, and also commodity in and/or out.  In total, there are 77
customers on the list, 13 of those are TOFC customers, another 32 were
either in North Randall or Solon, with North Randall being the real revenue
source outside of ore traffic.  This was a document created for the sales
department by the traffic and research departments of the EL.  So the fact
is, that not all of these clients were receiving rail service.  It was most
likely used as a source for sales to help generate revenue on the line.
However, I can tell you that a lot of these customers were shipping and
receiving via EL rail service.   The frequency, sadly, is not known or, at
the least, not in these documents.

Also of note in the new Diamond is the photo on the back cover.  The caption
states it is the commuter as it "highballs out of Cleveland... with train 28
bound for Youngstown."  However, the signal it is approaching is the signal
for West End junction where the train will make its way onto CUT tracks for
the trip into Terminal Tower.  Also, the shadows give it away as the street
to the right of the train opposite East 55th street yard is Track Avenue,
which paralleled the yard from East 55th to Martin Avenue.  The street was
on the west side of the yard, the sun is beating down on it so this is early
morning.   The picture on pages 4-5 is the same train, same morning, with
the photographer making a 180 degree pivot and that caption is correct.
There are some great shots of commuter 28/29 in Dave McKay's Morningsun Book
"Trackside Around Cleveland".  The EL, by the way, has more pages devoted to
it in that book than any other railroad in the Cleveland/Northeastern Ohio
area.  There are also some shots of EL power on Conrail trains in/around
Cleveland on former PC track.  A great source for those interested in the
Cleveland line.

Again, feel free to contact me off list if interested in that Excel file.

Steve