RE: (erielack) Dunmore-Meadville

> Njricky wrote

> When it came to repairing motive power, does anyone know
> which of the two divisions, the Jeff or the Wyoming handled
> most of repair traffic to the Dunmore Shops. My guess is that
> it depended on which part of the Erie system the locos
> operated on. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Mike Oravec responded:

> Rick, I
> think as you suggest it came down both branches. I read that
> (Erie President) Charles Denney ended locomotive repairs at
> Dunmore when he reorganized the maintenance program in 1935.
> The reason was location. Dunmore Shop was at the end of
> largely single line branches with the worst grades on the
> system. After that Dunmore (and for awhile Port Jervis) were
> freight car repair and rebuilding exclusively. Mike Oravec

None of you have mentioned Susquehanna, which was a major shop for the ERIE.  Susquehanna (and
Meadville) built steam locomotives from scratch, and the main passenger car shops were in
Susquehanna as well.  I've never understood Dunmore to be a significant shop for locomotives, just
for freight cars and cabooses.  Marion, as far as I know, was only rolling stock.

SGL