RE: (erielack) Automotive traffic

Paul Brezicki says:  "TV-79...leaving N Bergen in the wee hours and
arriving Chicago around 0700 the next morning."  If it left North Bergen
at, say 2am Eastern Time, and arrived in Chi town at 7am Central Time the
second day, that's thirty hours.  Since you're talking the water level
route, the 20th Century Limited made it in sixteen hours, 6pm Eastern Time
out of New York City-9am Central Time in Chicago, in 1963.  The Broadway
Limited had the same departure and arrival times.  To be on topic, in 1960
the Erie Limited made the trip in twenty three and a half hours- 9:30 am
Eastern out of Hoboken to 8am Central in Chicago.   (Looking at this last
Erie timetable from forty-six years ago, a coach seat from New York to
Elmira cost $9.61; today at ticket from New York to Morristown is $9.50.)
I can't dispute Paul's figures, but I wonder if nearly double the time of
the fastest trains is correct.  Weren't the TVs hot shot trains too?
Philip Martin

End of EL Mail List Digest V3 #2120