Re: (erielack) Clifton/Passaic bell

Rich,

    My dad and I regulary attended Clifton Mustang football games from 1973 (7th grade) until I graduatd CHS in 1979 and left for college.  I always remember the bell (home games only) being held by the cheerleaders and being rung (often in those days) after a touchdown.  There was a thread on this bell a couple of years ago.  Try looking through the archives for more information.

    By my senior year at Clifton (78/79 school year) we were no longer palying Passaic on Thanksgiving Day.  By then I think we were palying either Garfield or Fairlawn.  Passaic had become so bad (games were not close in years), maybe that's why I always remember us having the bell.  Toward the end, instead of alternating, all games were played at Clifton (wierd being the visitor in your own stadium) due to the small seating capacity at Passaic Stadium.

     My sister-in-law is on the Clifton School Committe.  I'll call her and see if she knows the whereabouts of the bell and if the School Dept as any written history and/or photos.  I posted some photos of Passaic about 6 years ago.  They are in the archives.  You can see Passaic Satdium in 2 pictures (Airial View of Passaic 1960s_ 2 and Passiac River Bridge 1963)

Dominic
Westerly RI

- ----------------------------------

Subject: (erielack) Re: Erie Bell

  Rob Piecuch Wrote:
Would any one out there have any information on the Erie Bell, the locomotive bell that the Erie donated to either Elmira or to the schools here. Two of the high school football teams compete each year for the Erie bell,
   ---------------------------------

  Rob (And list)
    That's interesting, I heard for many years (Since the early 50's) two High School teams here in New Jersey would also compete for a former Erie Railroad bell. The winning football team in the Clifton vs Passaic High School rivalry would take home the Erie Bell that was donated by the Railroad. Somewhere I have an old newspaper article that has an interesting story about it.  I wonder, do these two teams still compete for the Bell?
    As a side note there's still one sitting in a storage room in my Firehouse. From what I can tell It's off an Erie 0-6-0 number 236, we rescued it from the basemant of town hall here in West Paterson about 10 years ago!

  Todd ~
- ------------------------------

Subject: (erielack) Clifton/Passaic bell

   I don't know if the teams from the two towns still "compete" for
the bell, but I recall it being present during all the games from
circa 1990-97 when my children attended Clifton High. At that time
the bell was usually in the company of the cheerleaders or the band
and they would "ring" it whenever the team scored. I also recall
seeing articles on it and I believe it was last used on a diesel
locomotive. I'll have to check with the family to see if anyone
recalls anything else. I believe it still is used as such.

Regards:

Rich Onorevole